Diabetes is a disease that affects the body’s ability to produce insulin. This causes an increase in the glucose levels in the blood. This can cause a wide variety of other health problems, such as kidney and heart disease. It also increases the risk of developing skin infections, nerve damage, and eye damage. Fortunately, there are several things that you can do to prevent the development of diabetes. Here are the top five ways.
- Lose weight. Research has found that being overweight is one of the biggest risk factors for type 2 diabetes. This is because as you develop more fatty tissue, your body becomes more resistant to the effects of insulin and makes your body less capable of controlling blood sugar levels. Losing small amounts of weight, even as little as ten pounds, can significantly decrease your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
- Exercise more often. Studies have shown that exercising on a regular basis, at least three or four times a week, can reduce your risk of developing type 2 diabetes by approximately fifty percent. Not only does moderate to intense exercise lower your blood sugar levels, but it also improves your body’s ability to use insulin. It is recommended that you exercise for at least sixty minutes each day in order to see get the best results.
- Choose whole grains, instead of white carbohydrates, and quality protein. Individuals who eat at least three servings of whole grains a day and cut out white carbohydrates, such as white bread and potatoes, can decrease their risk of type 2 diabetes by twenty to thirty percent. The reason is because whole grains are digested more slowly than white carbohydrates and keep blood sugar levels steady. The best sources of whole grains include oatmeal, whole wheat bread, brown rice, popcorn, bulgur, and quinoa.In order to control your blood sugar most effectively, it is best to combine whole grains with a high-quality source of protein. The best types of protein are skinless poultry, fish, eggs, yogurt, cheese, nuts, and tofu. You could also choose to eat foods that contain both high quality carbohydrates and proteins, such as beans, peas, and milk.
- Choose the right type of fats. When it comes to fats, polyunsaturated fats are the best to consume in order to prevent type 2 diabetes. Some of the best sources of polyunsatured fats include soybean oil, sunflower oil, mackerel, trout, salmon, soybeans, and walnuts. The worst type of fat that you can consume when trying to prevent type 2 diabetes is Trans-fat. Trans-fat can be found in fried foods, margarine, baked goods, and chips.
- Stop smoking and limit your alcohol intake. Research has proven that smokers have higher blood sugar levels. In fact, individuals who smoke are about thirty to forty percent more likely to develop diabetes than individuals who don’t smoke.In addition, studies have found that moderate consumption of alcohol may lower a person’s risk of type 2 diabetes by as much as thirty percent. However, in order to experience the benefits, you should have no more than two drinks per day. Drinking more than three or four alcoholic drinks daily actually increases your risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Type 2 diabetes is a very serious condition that can cause a myriad of other health problems. In addition to consulting with your physician, if you are concerned about your risk of developing this disease, there are several natural things that you can do to prevent it. By following these tips, you can be sure to live a long and healthy life.